International Rally 2013

Going to an event or show? List it here so others know about it too.
Robinhood

Re: International Rally 2013

Post by Robinhood »

hi all . just want to have a small moan about judging of the modified class and see what others think . why is it a self judging class .? are we not worthy of judge ? also the winner did not wish to be judged .! so why vote for that car especially when there was a big notice saying - not to be judged in the windscreen .many thanks rant over . :)
WAC_Paul

International Rally 2013

Post by WAC_Paul »

Judges know standard cars. Modified people know modified cars so are best qualified.

That's why it became self judging. But im sure mr d headjudge will be along soon enough.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

As the "winner" of this years modified class, despite the request not to be judged, I will no longer display my car.

I am sincere in saying that I have been a member of this club since 1979, won more than my fair share of prizes over the years (not only in modified class) and I want to see more people winning , not just the same cars every year, and I particularly want to see the younger members getting some acknowledgement for their efforts.

If this sounds ungracious then I apologise, but Winchester was not the first time this has happened to me.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

And not too long ago you felt that it was not going to be your thing at all !

Obviously the A35 virus is deeply esconced in your system, like so many of us.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Dave Clark wrote:As the "winner" of this years modified class, despite the request not to be judged, I will no longer display my car.
Appreciate why you're perturbed Dave, and agree awarding the modified trophy against your wishes was rather naughty. But simple fact remains that TMT was the best modified car so winning was fully deserved... :whistle:

Would be a great shame not to see TMT displayed at future events... :(
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Dave Clark wrote:And not too long ago you felt that it was not going to be your thing at all !
My enthusiasm had been "dampened" by the Lichfield quagmire. But now I've seen the light... :mrgreen:
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Dave Clark wrote:As the "winner" of this years modified class, despite the request not to be judged, I will no longer display my car.
I spoke to Dave shortly after He collected His well deserved award, and although He had just won the best modified trophy, He did not seem very pleased with that fact. When I congratulated Him on winning, He said that He was not Happy that He had been awarded the best modified, as He had asked for TMT not to be judged, He had even put a large sign on the Car stating that fact, He said then that He did not feel there was any alternative, other than not bringing TMT along to future shows. when I asked why He did not want to be judged, He stated that He wanted the younger members to get the credit that they deserve for the hard work that they have put into their Cars.
I was rather concerned by His comments, as this was the first time that I have had a chance to see TMT in real life, and I really do not want it to be the last. I was told by one other member, when I asked if He was taking His Car along, that one reason that He did not wish to take His Car to Winchester, was that He did not want it to be judged. I naively said that He could just tick the box on the entry form not to be judged. But after seeing Daves efforts not to be judged, and then still having His Car awarded the trophy, I can see my friends point.
I would like to see as many Cars as possible at the Rallies and especially the National. In future could there be some guarantee to respect the wishes of those people that do not wish their Cars to be judged please, so that they will carry on bringing them to the shows, giving those of us that have not had the good fortune of seeing these wonderful vehicles in the past, an opportunity to do so. :thumbs:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Just to be clear, I will still bring TMT along and just park it away from the display area.

In any case I,m hoping that you will see a rather different modified vehicle from me next year.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Didn't feel particularly inclined to take Evo2 to Winchester because those interested (a small minority) had seen the car already and having won the Modified Award in 2012, presenting Evo2 again seemed inappropriate. Nobody asked why I hadn't brought the car so it was probably the right decision.

However looking forward to presenting Evo3 when built... :thumbs:
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

fsu982 wrote: I do think it would be a good idea to reserve some space closer to the Toilet block, for those that need to visit the toilets more frequently during the night, or those that have a bit of a mobility issue. Maybe on the booking form there could be an extra tick box, for a space close to the amenities and an area can be kept clear for those that need to stay close. :thumbs:
Whilst I have some sympathy with sweetie on the showers issue I feel it's interesting to note that the nearest pitches to the accomodation block, the ones across the back fence of the main pitch, were the last to be occupied. It was also interesting to note that the clubhouse steward was similarly amused by our orderly pitches. I put it down to a touch of OCD that we all formed an orderly line around the perimeter of the field.. :whistle:

A standard rugby pitch is 70 metres wide. Allowing for verges and the concrete apron on the building I'd guess the nearest vacant pitch to the toilets was no more than 120 metres away. Is that too far to walk? As I mentioned in an earlier post, how far is too far Sweetie?

I've been to lots of shows with portable toilets and personally I'd rather walk a mile to a proper loo, sooner than 100 metres to the average, disgusting plastic turdis that some joker's just emptied their porta-potti in.... :whistle:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Sweetie

Post by Sweetie »

I did not bring up the toilet issue at the time it was another male member who was complaining about no toilets on the field and who also told this to a National Committe member at the time.

All we are asking is that as I have stated previous up till last year and for many years we have always had toilets and at most showers on the camping field so why change the format. It works and no one complained.
You have changed the format and now people (not just me) are complaining - you will end up with people not attending ( i know of 1 family and a couple of single members who did not attend this year due to the toilets and showers when they were told it was the same as last year.)

Me - as a couple we gave up camping after the first night/morning and booked into a hotel (This was a mans decission as he did not like the toilets or showers) but not all people have this option and hence either go home or never come again.
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

Sweetie wrote:
All we are asking is that as I have stated previous up till last year and for many years we have always had toilets and at most showers on the camping field so why change the format.
Somewhat ironic that the first National to use the current (rugby club) format was at Leighton Buzzard... :whistle:

I'm still interested to know how near is it reasonable to expect to be to a portaloo? It would give us all a clue as to how many toilet units are needed, ie, in your opinion would the Winchester field have needed 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 etc units?

One in the middle wouldn't be enough as I was pitched nearer than that to the facilities block (approx 150 metres). I might add that when I arrived a good 3/4 of the campers were already there and such prime spots were still up for grabs...

Presumably these then also need to be illuminated to protect you from the hundreds of preditary t̶r̶a̶n̶s̶s̶e̶x̶u̶a̶l̶s̶ transgenders that attended the rally and a generator running all night as at Dundee...

WAC_Paul

International Rally 2013

Post by WAC_Paul »

Surely this is just going round and round in circles. Nothing can be solved on here anyway.

Why not put your concerns in an email to the people who have the chance to influence these things and are here specifically to hear these things.

This would of course be the rally coordinator and next years hosts ( but mark has already been answering you.)
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

WAC_Paul wrote:Surely this is just going round and round in circles. Nothing can be solved on here anyway.

Why not put your concerns in an email to the people who have the chance to influence these things and are here specifically to here these things.
Isn't that what forums are for...

Surely the people who have the chance to influence these things need both sides of the story. Dundee had showers, toilet blocks, floodlights etc.... and made a 10k loss... :whistle:

WAC_Paul

International Rally 2013

Post by WAC_Paul »

Yeah but it still needs to go to the people concerned and the rally coordinator hardly uses the forum.