east-west 1275 block

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
Duncan

east-west 1275 block

Post by Duncan »

Just thinking aloud today, given their similarity from the factory, would a 1275 mini block be able to be fitted with all north-south components for an A30/35?

I did a bit of a search & saw someone who had done it the other way around (Midget block on a Mini)

any thoughts?
Dave Clark

Re: east-west 1275 block

Post by Dave Clark »

Not easy.

You need a Midget or Marina crank and rods and the rear main bearing cap from the same engines.

This will need to be machined and line bored to align with the other two.

I would also recommend fitting the M.E.D. rear oil seal.

You will also need front and back plates from a Midget engine. If you have all those parts then you have almost a complete Midget engine anyway.

I once put a Marina crank and rods in a spare Midget block just because I had all the parts lying around, which is nowhere near the same thing.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Much easier to go the other way, from in-line to transverse... :whistle:
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I do have a complete (I think) Marina engine....
thinking that the oil filter doesn't look right for an Austin.
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

You can fit a remote filter ...
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

gazza82 wrote:You can fit a remote filter ...
:iagree: Very easy modification which accommodates an oil/air cooler in the same circuit... :thumbs:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

But not necessary as the position of the Marina filter still allows fitting of the engine. There can be a problem with the filter hitting the steering box but a smaller filter from (I think) a 2CV solves that problem.

You still need the appropriate front and rear backplates though
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Small oil filters are not a good idea. Always use the biggest one which will fit in the space available :thumbs:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

And when there is only limited space we compromise (Or as I,m sure you would advise, fit a remote filter)
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Dave Clark wrote:...(Or as I,m sure you would advise, fit a remote filter)
Gets over the problems of smaller oil filter having greater flow restriction (and pressure drop) and the need to replace it more frequently... :thumbs:

Downside of remote filter are additional fittings which can leak and possibility of the hoses chaffing to point of failure. But worked fine on Cooper S as standard fitment. Also provides means of coupling a Marina block to an oil cooler which I've always found essential even on the road: A-series cook their oil :!:
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Big Daddy wrote:
Dave Clark wrote:...(Or as I,m sure you would advise, fit a remote filter)
Gets over the problems of smaller oil filter having greater flow restriction (and pressure drop) and the need to replace it more frequently... :thumbs:

Downside of remote filter are additional fittings which can leak and possibility of the hoses chaffing to point of failure. But worked fine on Cooper S as standard fitment. Also provides means of coupling a Marina block to an oil cooler which I've always found essential even on the road: A-series cook their oil :!:
BD

I have seen Moss promoting a Dynolite oil of 20W- 60 viscosity. Would this be of benefit to my engine ?
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Countryboy wrote:I have seen Moss promoting a Dynolite oil of 20W- 60 viscosity. Would this be of benefit to my engine ?
Modern philosophy is to use the lowest viscosity oil capable of withstanding engine loads, minimising parasitic loss to the benefit of fuel economy. Older design engines have large clearances and oil passages so 20w-60 should be ok, but I doubt there would be any benefit over 20w-50.

Never use such high viscosity oil in a modern engine because it can starve the bearings.

Still need to keep engine oil temperature under control (max 120C) or nasty things happen. Modine oil/water coolers/heaters have some advantages over oil/air coolers especially on road cars... :thumbs:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I have just changed the oil in TMT and used fully synthetic 10/60.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Dave - Why do you use 10w-60 viscosity :?:
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

thanks for the ideas guys, will see what we end up with once the resto starts in earnest.

Just realized I've started this thread in the wrong section <sorry!> can the mods please move it to the right one? thanks.