Vehicle Identification

This area is specifically for our "Technical Officers" posts, please post questions as normal in the "Technical and Maintenance" section. Unauthorised posts will be moved as we wish to keep this as an advice area only. You can answer posts if you have questions related to the post content.
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Vehicle Identification

Post by Neil Evans »

I often get asked how to identify the different models of our vehicles so here's a short guide to vehicle identification for all models of A30 and A35 built 1952 - 1968. All of our Austins have a unique chassis number and this is stamped into a plate that's attached to the car. Early cars had the plate stamped from the top, later models were reverse stamped. Nowhere on the vehicles is the chassis/VIN number stamped directly into the steel as on modern vehicles.

All AS3 and early AS4/A2S4 models had this plate:-

On AS3s it was located centrally to the front of the battery shelf, thus...
001.JPG
001.JPG (800.13 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
The first few months of AS4/A2S4 production have the same plate, but mounted centrally on the bulkhead, behind the heater box or where it would be if one was fitted.
chassis plate location early AS4 2.JPG
chassis plate location early AS4 2.JPG (40.67 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
All cars with this style of plate had a second plate with more details displayed, attached to the driver's sun visor. NB, this one's from a Somerset, but the style of plate is the same...
Chassis plate 2.jpg
Chassis plate 2.jpg (102.15 KiB) Viewed 6400 times
By autumn 1954 Austin were using this larger plate...

Initially mounted on the L/H flitch panel (the vertical panel to the side of the engine bay), thus...
003.JPG
003.JPG (698.87 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
After a short time it moved back to the bulkhead, slightly to the left of centre, near to the starter switch...
004.JPG
004.JPG (806.72 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
By 1956 the same plate had moved to the near side (left hand) 'A' post, between the door hinges, where it stayed till van production ended in february 1968.
chassis plate location all later cars.JPG
chassis plate location all later cars.JPG (64.07 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
At some point after saloon production had ended the plate design changed to this:-

Later still the AV8 vans had to have seat belts fitted and it became a legal requirement to declare the mountings were British Standard compliant so the plate changed again to this...
chassis plate location late van.jpg
chassis plate location late van.jpg (27.99 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
A few vans built towards the end of the production run have been noted to have this larger plate that carries additional information, primarily on axle weights...
chassis plate late van 3.JPG
chassis plate late van 3.JPG (31.97 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
chassis plate late van 4.JPG
chassis plate late van 4.JPG (12.89 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
All of the plates are available as replicas from Classic Reproductions, with the exception of that fitted to the bulkhead of late vans, though the website does mention a 'wish list' and that they may be available in the future... http://www.classicrepro.co.uk/Austin.htm

All of our Austins also carry a plate with the body number stamped into it. On saloons this is welded to the leading edge of the bulkhead/battery shelf, to the right of centre, thus...
002.JPG
002.JPG (702.98 KiB) Viewed 5461 times
The Van, Countryman and Pick Up models displayed the number on a plate that was pop riveted to the bulkhead, thus...
006.JPG
006.JPG (681.46 KiB) Viewed 5461 times
As with the chassis plates, replicas of the Fisher & Ludlow plate have been reproduced...
Chassis plate fisher & Ludlow.jpg
Chassis plate fisher & Ludlow.jpg (16.61 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
The first approximately 6,000 Van and Countryman bodies will have carried a Briggs Motor Bodies plate, which to my knowledge are not available...

All of the 'commercial' models built by Fisher & Ludlow also had a number directly stamped into the bulkhead, forward of where the heater ducts pass through. This is likely to be the actual factory body number, but it's a red herring as far as we're concerned as that stamped on the plate higher up is almost always a slightly different number. However, it's the one used on any official records of the vehicle, making the stamped number a red herring. It is commonly thought that the Fisher & Ludlow staff charged with fitting the plates once they were painted didn't think it necessary to match the plates to the correct shell... :whistle:
011.JPG
011.JPG (696.11 KiB) Viewed 5461 times
Last edited by Neil Evans on Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:47 am, edited 10 times in total.
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
one.relic

Re: Vehicle Identification

Post by one.relic »

Fantastic info for those of us new to these cars Neil, it's greatly appreciated!

I do have a couple of additional questions about vehicle ID and information, and figured it might be easier to ask it here, instead of creating a new topic. On my A2S4, I know exactly where the chassis number plate is, but I can't seem to find where the engine number is located. I've got the information plate on top of the cylinder head, but I can't seem to see anything on it that indicates the actual engine number, and unless I'm blind (which is a great possibility), I didn't see it near the thermostat housing as has been suggested to me.

I know that I can get a heritage certificate and technical spec sheet from the Heritage Centre, but is there a place that I could find out what registration number, tax discs, etc. would've come with my car originally? Is there also any way (through the Heritage Centre or other) that anyone knows of that I could use to try and track down ownership history of my vehicle?
"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment, there is no why." - Kurt Vonnegut

Darren S.
1954 A30 A2S4 (Aptly named "Austin" by my 5 year old son)
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

The engine number should be on a plate attached to the top face of the cylinder block, just under the front most spark plug. Very often they have been removed by engine reconditioners to enable them to face the block before carrying out a rebore.

The DVLA will, for a fee, give the registered keeper the history that they have on the car, including previous keepers and number plates the car has had. However, this usually only goes back to the late 1970s when computerised records started to be kept for older cars...

Some of the local authority records survive at county archives etc but it is spasmodic. A postcode lottery if you like.

A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Neil Evans wrote:The DVLA will, for a fee, give the registered keeper the history that they have on the car, including previous keepers and number plates the car has had. However, this usually only goes back to the late 1970s when computerised records started to be kept for older cars...
And the form you will need for that is a V888 (downloadable) just type in V888 in Google etc
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Would a LHD US car be on DVLA records though?
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
A40FARINAGURU

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

gazza82 wrote:Would a LHD US car be on DVLA records though?
depends if it has/or was registered in this country
Nick Bayliss

Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

One should always assume I'm talking about UK registered cars unless a specific question is asked otherwise. I don't have time or inclination to stalk every poster around the forum...

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

could be opening a can of worms, but Is it considered bad form to replace a lost chassis tag on an Austin? There seems to be replacement "blanks" around, although I'm not sure how tidy you could punch up a set with the correct numbers.

I know on another can forum I'm on (GMH-Torana) the mere mentioning of "restamping" be it chassis numbers or engine numbers brings out a lot of debate & angst because of the number of cars of dubious heritage that get sold for high prices.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

In the UK I don,t think that there is any problem replacing a chassis plate on an A30 or A35,providing it is like for like.

The plates are "reverse stamped" so not as simple as re-stamping from the front.
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

These folk can reverse stamp the plates to original spec, though they don't appear to supply the correct plate for an A30/A35. The correct ones are available elsewhere and I'm sure they'll be able to accommodate it. There are, hopefully, security checks made to confirm you own the vehicle that you need the plate for...

https://www.minisport.com/catalogsearch ... ssis+plate

A40FARINAGURU

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Neil Evans wrote:These folk can reverse stamp the plates to original spec, though they don't appear to supply the correct plate for an A30/A35. The correct ones are available elsewhere and I'm sure they'll be able to accommodate it. There are, hopefully, security checks made to confirm you own the vehicle that you need the plate for...

https://www.minisport.com/catalogsearch ... ssis+plate

Minimail do as well, i have known them many years, Tim is the owner

http://www.minimail.co.uk/chassis-vin-plates/
Nick Bayliss

McRod

Post by McRod »

Hi all,

With regards to the above, i recently replaced both my a Pillars on my A35 resto and didn`t properly record the exact location of the plate.

I`ve taken my eye off the ball with regards to placement of it and now i cannot find the old rotted a pillar to get 100% accurate measurements for VIN plate to be put back.

Would the placement of the badge shown in the photo be a good indication of where to place mine or can anyone else give me measurements for the hole centres?

Thanks in advance.
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

McRod wrote:
Would the placement of the badge shown in the photo be a good indication of where to place mine or can anyone else give me measurements for the hole centres?

Thanks in advance.
This might be a better guide... :thumbs:
chassis plate location all later cars.JPG
chassis plate location all later cars.JPG (64.07 KiB) Viewed 4147 times

philipangus

Post by philipangus »

Hi

I've taken some measurements.

From the centre of the middle lower door hinge bolt it is

15.1cms to the centre of the bottom plate screw.
23.9cms to the centre of the top plate screw

Note the tape starts at 10cms on the hinge bolt.

Also my plate is not quite vertical, so maybe they weren't too fussy.

IMG_3817.jpg
IMG_3817.jpg (287.75 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

philipangus wrote:
Also my plate is not quite vertical, so maybe they weren't too fussy.
:iagree:

I made a jig so that I could accurately place them after replacing the A Posts. However, after checking the jig on several vehicles I've come to the conclusion that the placement was quite random... :whistle: