Forum Suggestion?

Any Problems with the Website or Forum, ask/report here or if you have an issue using parts of the forum/website ask away.
garethmur

Forum Suggestion?

Post by garethmur »

Hi,

Just a quick suggestion to the admins...
Why not put your forum on the Tapatalk iPhone app?
it enables us to check in on the move, i have set it up on my own phpbb forum and its actually very easy to implement.

Just a suggestion.... use it.... don't use it......
Regards,
Gareth Murray
Alan Fox

Re: Forum Suggestion?

Post by Alan Fox »

Hello Gareth,

Please tell me more about your suggestion. I would have thought that you could access our web site from the iphone, so what is the advantage?

Best wishes,

Alan
WAC_Paul

Post by WAC_Paul »

I've had a look on the phpbb website and there seems there is nothing currently to use tappa talk on phpbb. As far as I know it just works with vbulletin based systems.
Alan Fox

Post by Alan Fox »

Hello Paul,

Welcome as our new Group Co-ordinator, please contact Harry to arrange transfer.

Your post above lost me, is there an advantage to a different method of iphone contact. My daughter has no problem with getting web sites on her phone, so presumably that would include the Forum as well as the rest of the pages on our web site?

Alan
WAC_Paul

Post by WAC_Paul »

Hi Alan and thanks for the welcome. Apparently all the handover stuff is currently touring Scotland with Mr Neathey but as soon as he's back I'll collect it and then call Harry :)

Basically tapatalk is an app that strips out all the forum design and signatures etc to give a basic text version of the threads. This means it's a lot quicker to load and takes a lot less of your data bundle. It is a good system and worthwhile for those that love their smart phones on the move like me.

I have now done a more detailed search and found that it is actually available for phpbb3! It just doesn't appear in the modifications database as its a 3rd party app but is in their forums. http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1650625

It's free for the websites but the app has to be bought by the user (currently £1.79) but quickly repays the individual back the investment in reduced time and data transfers. So no cost to the club and then its up to members if they want to buy the app and use it.

more info and the required forum plugin here: http://www.tapatalk.com/

All of the website and forum is indeed visible on smart phones but it is quite data heavy and if your not in a 3g or wifi zone can take a while to load.
Alan Fox

Post by Alan Fox »

Thanks Paul,

I am a wiser man. I will contact our webmanager and editor in the first instance.

Alan
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

The forum should now be on TapaTalk :)
WAC_Paul

Post by WAC_Paul »

Yeah it just popped up when I logged in on my iPhone. So went to app store and everytime I try to buy it it starts to download and then says app is no longer available. Darn. Hope that's just a temporary glitch on apples behalf.

Well done on getting it on the forum though. :)
Last edited by WAC_Paul on Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WAC_Paul

Post by WAC_Paul »

And then, an hour later, as if by magic its back and loaded ok. :)
garethmur

Forum Suggestion?

Post by garethmur »

Lekka, glad it's working... Sorry I didn't give more info, but for some reason I didn't get an email when my post was replied to...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-26.086564,28.079827
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Gareth Murray