Leaf sring front hanger.

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please

Leaf sring front hanger.

Postby Denpar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:45 am

With only 2 weeks to go before the annual Ipswich to Felixstowe car run, I've hit a problem in that I've found that there is a significant amount of rust on the front leaf spring hanger and urgent action is required, I've bought a new one from BM.

As details of leaf springs appear to be very sketchy in the workshop manuals that I've seen, and there is a distinct lack of diagrams, can anyone describe for me the process of dismantling to the stage where welding can be done, or point me in the direction of any articles on here please. Does the leaf spring have to be detached in it's entirety? What are the pitfalls and likely difficulties?

Roy
Denpar

Re: Leaf sring front hanger.

Postby Paulc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:53 am

Paulc

Postby David Swain » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:01 am

Hi Roy,
Might be worth looking through John G's posts (AKA The Tight Yorkshire Man) Sure He did a good write up of when He removed His leaves. :wave:
I think that I will have to park Rev in front of the House, and pretend that I came from Ipswich..... :whistle:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk and Cambridgeshire Group'.
Contact Email cambridgeandsuffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
David Swain

Postby Denpar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 pm

My lips will be sealed, David.

This year, make sure you walk down past the pier and look for Alice (741 UYH). If I'm not next to the car we'll be on the beach having a picnic with family, 3 yr old Grandson, and some other friends. I'm sure we'll be able to find you a hobnob.

John G's thread has been an amazing and inspirational source of knowledge over the last couple of years. The only trouble is that it's so extensive that it often takes a great deal of time to find the right point of interest and I also keep getting side tracked as I find other titbits as well. I often think that it's such a good reference collection that it needs it's own index.

Roy
Denpar

Postby David Swain » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Ooh! Hobnobs on the beach. :thumbs:
Will be looking out for you, we are by the Alex if you need a tea or coffee. :D
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk and Cambridgeshire Group'.
Contact Email cambridgeandsuffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
David Swain

Postby Tight Yorkshireman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:32 am

Thank you for the nice words on 863 EMD
For the back axle/springs just get to page 3 on my blog you will get the details in the first 3 pages or so from there see link

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3508&start=30

You will see the simple blow torch excellent for burning out the forward pins really so easy and so quick just ensure all fire precautions are applied :thumbs:

Good luck

Regards

John G 8)
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
Tight Yorkshireman

Postby Neil Evans » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:07 am

Difficult, if not impossible to fit the replacement spring hanger without cutting away at least some of the surrounding panels... Heelboard and shock absorber mounting area... Unusual to find them that don't need work on these as well... :whistle:
Technical Information Officer
Father of the club's only love child (probably)
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)
Neil Evans

Postby Denpar » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:15 pm

Starting to get a tad nervous. Have never worked on suspension of any kind before. Hoping to get some ramp time in next couple of days.
Denpar

Return to Technical and Maintenance