Leaf sring front hanger.

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please

Leaf sring front hanger.

Postby Denpar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:45 am

With only 2 weeks to go before the annual Ipswich to Felixstowe car run, I've hit a problem in that I've found that there is a significant amount of rust on the front leaf spring hanger and urgent action is required, I've bought a new one from BM.

As details of leaf springs appear to be very sketchy in the workshop manuals that I've seen, and there is a distinct lack of diagrams, can anyone describe for me the process of dismantling to the stage where welding can be done, or point me in the direction of any articles on here please. Does the leaf spring have to be detached in it's entirety? What are the pitfalls and likely difficulties?

Roy
Denpar

Re: Leaf sring front hanger.

Postby Paulc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:53 am

Paulc

Postby David Swain » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:01 am

Hi Roy,
Might be worth looking through John G's posts (AKA The Tight Yorkshire Man) Sure He did a good write up of when He removed His leaves. :wave:
I think that I will have to park Rev in front of the House, and pretend that I came from Ipswich..... :whistle:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk and Cambridgeshire Group'.
Contact Email cambridgeandsuffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
David Swain

Postby Denpar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 pm

My lips will be sealed, David.

This year, make sure you walk down past the pier and look for Alice (741 UYH). If I'm not next to the car we'll be on the beach having a picnic with family, 3 yr old Grandson, and some other friends. I'm sure we'll be able to find you a hobnob.

John G's thread has been an amazing and inspirational source of knowledge over the last couple of years. The only trouble is that it's so extensive that it often takes a great deal of time to find the right point of interest and I also keep getting side tracked as I find other titbits as well. I often think that it's such a good reference collection that it needs it's own index.

Roy
Denpar

Postby David Swain » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Ooh! Hobnobs on the beach. :thumbs:
Will be looking out for you, we are by the Alex if you need a tea or coffee. :D
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk and Cambridgeshire Group'.
Contact Email cambridgeandsuffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
David Swain

Postby Tight Yorkshireman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:32 am

Thank you for the nice words on 863 EMD
For the back axle/springs just get to page 3 on my blog you will get the details in the first 3 pages or so from there see link

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3508&start=30

You will see the simple blow torch excellent for burning out the forward pins really so easy and so quick just ensure all fire precautions are applied :thumbs:

Good luck

Regards

John G 8)
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
Tight Yorkshireman

Postby Neil Evans » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:07 am

Difficult, if not impossible to fit the replacement spring hanger without cutting away at least some of the surrounding panels... Heelboard and shock absorber mounting area... Unusual to find them that don't need work on these as well... :whistle:
Technical Information Officer
Father of the club's only love child (probably)
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)
Neil Evans

Postby Denpar » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:15 pm

Starting to get a tad nervous. Have never worked on suspension of any kind before. Hoping to get some ramp time in next couple of days.
Denpar

Postby Abol » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi ALl

Today we have taken the car to the garage to start work on her. The front drivers side hanger for the leaf spring was completely rusted.

We have the front end of the leaf spring out the hanger by cutting the hanger that is going to be replaced.

The rear of the spring however is proving a little more difficult. We have managed to get the nuts off, and the side plate. However the plate with the pins attached is not coming away from the chassis at the top point.

Can someone confirm that not only does a bushing go onto the lower pin, but also onto the top pin that goes through the chassis of the car?

Thanks
Ash
Abol

Postby A40FARINAGURU » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:37 pm

is the rear shackle moving backwards & forwards
Nick Bayliss DVLA Officer A30/A35 owners club
Connected with A30/A35's for 57 years

Email dvla@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk
A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
A40FARINAGURU

Postby Abol » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:15 pm

Yes it does move backwards and forwards with some force. However I cannot get the leaf spring off the lower part of the shackle either! My intention was to replace the entire shackle if needs be, I thought it may be easier to get the spring off the lower part of the shackle off the car.
Abol

Postby A40FARINAGURU » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:54 pm

Abol wrote:Yes it does move backwards and forwards with some force. However I cannot get the leaf spring off the lower part of the shackle either! My intention was to replace the entire shackle if needs be, I thought it may be easier to get the spring off the lower part of the shackle off the car.

the top pin in the chassis has worn & has got a shoulder on it making it difficult to get out, give it a good soak & work it backwards & forwards & once it has freed off it should come out, the drivers side you can try knocking it out but the passenger side is behind the spare wheel well :(
Nick Bayliss DVLA Officer A30/A35 owners club
Connected with A30/A35's for 57 years

Email dvla@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk
A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
A40FARINAGURU

Postby Neil Evans » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 am

Abol wrote: However I cannot get the leaf spring off the lower part of the shackle either!

Burn the rubber from the bush with a blowlamp... :thumbs:
Technical Information Officer
Father of the club's only love child (probably)
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)
Neil Evans

Postby Denpar » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:11 am

JOB DONE :-) :-)

Many thanks to all of the above for your comments and tips.

The removal of the front bush was, indeed, very easy using the "burning" technique with a welding torch. An air hacksaw made short work of the outer metal part of the bush. As we were able to hinge the spring down from the rear mounting point, and the bush seemed in good condition with the shackle itself moving freely and smoothly, we decided not to disturb it (although we did have a new bush and shackle just in case).

With regard to the front mounting, it was the bit around the bolt holes that was rusty but luckily the rest was healthy. In view of the access problem, and the considerable amount of work needed to detach the old mounting and clean up the whole of the fixing area we cut out the bad bit and then precision cut the relevant piece from the new bracket and welded it into position. I can't tell you how relieved we were when everything slotted so easily back into place.

We are very fortunate that we have the guidance of Steve Swift of Coven Body Repairs in Wolverhampton. Steve is a bit of a legend with the body work and painting of classic cars and it was he who did the painting on Alice. We have become firm friends with Steve and Rose and make frequent visits to his workshop just to chat and see what he is currently working on. In fact, it's more like a gentleman's club than a place of business because there are so many people who go just to chew the fat. For this job, Steve allowed us the use of a ramp and tools so that we could do all the work ourselves except for the welding bit, enabling his own business to carry on with minimum disruption. However, we did have the comfort of knowing that there were other people around to discuss ideas and procedures with. In turn, I am pleased to be able to say that we are able to give Steve ongoing help in our own area of expertise.

Anyway, many thanks to all of you. Next stop, Ipswich to Felixstowe, and we hope to post pictures and perhaps some video of the event.

Oh, and for anyone who might be slightly confused, Abol (above) is my Son, Ashley. He is the young and supple part of the team :-)

Roy
Denpar

Return to Technical and Maintenance