Brake light pressure switch

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
Colinoff471

Re: Brake light pressure switch

Post by Colinoff471 »

Thanks Neil - I will bleed the system anyway but I'm asking if the switch should have brake fluid inside it or just air ?
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Colinoff471 wrote:Thanks Neil - I will bleed the system anyway but I'm asking if the switch should have brake fluid inside it or just air ?
it works off fluid not air, the braking system should have no air in it
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

I usually fill switch with a syringe, then put a small piece of cling film over end, then brim the t-piece with syringe to overflowing with kitchen roll around it to catch overflow, invert the switch and place end into top of fluid then carefully remove cling film making sure it is not damaged, always good to bleed as well but have done this before successfully without bleeding always assuming your switch is in the normal vertical position at the top of the system. :wave:
Colinoff471

Post by Colinoff471 »

Thank you Edosan - apart from minor details that's exactly what I ended up doing before I read your post. Brake lights now work perfectly.
Tight Yorkshireman

Post by Tight Yorkshireman »

Edosan wrote:I usually fill switch with a syringe, then put a small piece of cling film over end, then brim the t-piece with syringe to overflowing with kitchen roll around it to catch overflow, invert the switch and place end into top of fluid then carefully remove cling film making sure it is not damaged, always good to bleed as well but have done this before successfully without bleeding always assuming your switch is in the normal vertical position at the top of the system. :wave:
Thats a crafty tip that Ed thinking out of the box :thumbs:

John G
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15