Machine shop - going rates?

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
Demetri

Machine shop - going rates?

Post by Demetri »

I was recently quoted the following for work on my engine at a local machine shop here in Cyprus (prices in euros at current rate of £0.85/€1):

cylinder rebore €25 each cylinder
cylinder sleeves €25 each sleeve
installation of sleeve €25 each
deck skimming €25
I haven't yet asked the price of installing hardened valve seats.

Can anyone give me some insight into the current going rates for the five things outlined above? I have a feeling I'm being overcharged... but you guys would know more than me as I've never had this work done before.

Thanks. :wink:
1956 A30 Countryman
* 1 owner - recovered from dry basement where it sat for 30+ years *
Hurtzberg

Re: Machine shop - going rates?

Post by Hurtzberg »

Around here (Berkshire/Surrey/Hampshire border), I was quoted £40 per cylinder for a rebore.

Didn't ask about the rest but it wouldn't be normal to need to sleeve the engine unless it has been rebored a lot already at which point you've got to consider a better / bigger engine.

Sounds like a family holiday to cyprus with my block in my hold luggage might be in order!
Andrew

1957 A35
Demetri

Post by Demetri »

Hurtzberg wrote:...didn't ask about the rest but it wouldn't be normal to need to sleeve the engine unless it has been rebored a lot already at which point you've got to consider a better / bigger engine.
The one cylinder is badly gouged, so will need a significant amount of material removing... hence the need of a sleeve.
1956 A30 Countryman
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Demetri wrote:The one cylinder is badly gouged, so will need a significant amount of material removing... hence the need of a sleeve.
I've had bad experience with sleeving an A-series. Although the engine ran well for a while, eventually the sleeve moved in the bore resulting in considerable damage.

Faced with a gouged bore, I would use another undamaged block if available... :whistle:
Hurtzberg

Post by Hurtzberg »

Demetri, I feel your pain with the "Original" vs "Sensible" eg, fitting a reasonable 948 or 1098 would probably be very much cheaper than fixing your original engine and make the car better for modern traffic but then you don't have the original engine in the car.

Are you doing this for yourself to use or to sell on ?

If for yourself, you could fit a different engine for now to get the car going and have the old engine for if/when you feel like getting it fixed.
Andrew

1957 A35
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Getting one to Cyprus might be the problem ... bit heavy for excess baggage .. :-)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Demetri

Post by Demetri »

I did want to keep the car 'numbers matching' ... but bearing in mind the damage, and the cost of rebuilding the 'original' 803cc coupled with the fact that it has been clearly skimmed and generally messed with and the engine tag is missing, makes me seriously think about taking Hertzberg's advice and fitting a 948cc ... if I can find one.

As far as shipping one to Cyprus, thats not a problem at all. It's the shipping to Birmingham (where my shipper is based) that poses the biggest problem.
Last edited by Demetri on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1956 A30 Countryman
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

And buying an engine that you can't see or hear running ... :?
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Bill

Post by Bill »

I feel your pain Demetri. I lived in Cyprus in the 70's before the invasion and the Cypriots ( Greek and Turk)were masters at a lot of things, like fixing bent wings on cars to a very high standard. I am sure the work will be done well. I bow to more informed opinion about sleeving an A series, but you may have no choice. You see in magazines all the time "rust in peace" articles. There must still be scrapyards where you may be able to get a MM or an A40 engine, or a Sprite or Midget block. Do let us know how you get on.
Demetri

Post by Demetri »

gazza82 wrote:And buying an engine that you can't see or hear running ... :?
I intend on rebuilding whatever I find anyway, just for fun. So I think I'd be willing to trust a seller that comes across as relatively trustworthy.
Bill wrote:... Do let us know how you get on.
I'm sure I'll be boring everyone with my progress! :P
1956 A30 Countryman
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

Demetri wrote: I'm sure I'll be boring everyone with my progress! :P
We're banking on it... :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child