Brake pipe thread sizes

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
Denpar

Brake pipe thread sizes

Post by Denpar »

I'm currently modifying my front brakes to the 8" A40 option. I got most of the parts from the A40 Club spares facilities. The cylinders, however, are new. I didn't think I needed new flexible pipes because the old A35 ones looked serviceable. The problem was that (on the side that I have worked on so far) I was unable to detach the old pipe from the A35 back plate because it was so tight and the flats were becoming round.

Being the impatient type, I decided to nip to a local supplier of Morris Minor parts. I took one of the new cylinders with me, along with the large nut that holds the other end of the flexible pipe inside the engine compartment. The new pipes that I got fitted onto the cylinders perfectly as did the nut to fix the other end of the pipe. Anyway, I fitted the new gubbins to the stub axle and the flexible pipe at both ends. Then came time to fasten the copper pipe in the engine compartment to the flexible hose, BUT the female thread on the flexible pipe and the male copper pipe aren't the same.

Where do I go from here? Can someone tell me the 2 thread sizes I'm dealing with please, and does anyone supply a suitable adapter.

Roy
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Re: Brake pipe thread sizes

Post by Neil Evans »

The correct brake hoses are about £7.00 so it's hardly worth messing with adapters...
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child