Setting the timing on my a35 van

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
hodge2

Setting the timing on my a35 van

Post by hodge2 »

Hi Guys

Can any one assist in how to set the timing on the above having problems finding a mechanic to help
The engine starts every time after moving the electric pump to level of tank but runs a bit eratickly.

Richard. hodge2
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Re: Setting the timing on my a35 van

Post by Neil Evans »

Set the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley and then rotate the distributor body till the points are at the point of opening. There are various ways of establishing the latter, from expensive gadgetry to a fag paper trapped between them... :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Neil Evans wrote:...rotate the distributor till the points are at the point of opening.
That's the important thing to understand - ignition fires just as the points open (not as they close which you would expect intuitively).

I always found a spare speedo illumination bulb on flying leads very useful for determining when the points opened... :thumbs:

Worth checking that setting is correct side of backlash, by turning crankshaft a few degrees backwards and then reapproaching the ignition point from the correct direction. Surprising how much slack there can be in the mechanical drive to the distributor.
hodge2

Post by hodge2 »

Thanks Neil and big daddy my son tried asneil suggested but he found that the float chamber
Neasden not moving . So w have ordered repair kit off eBay..if it doe sent work I've. Asked N evil if a zenith will fit.

hodge2
Bill

Post by Bill »

hodge2 wrote:Thanks Neil and big daddy my son tried asneil suggested but he found that the float chamber
Neasden not moving . So w have ordered repair kit off eBay..if it doe sent work I've. Asked N evil if a zenith will fit.

hodge2
You've got me confused. Are you trying to set the ignition timing or have you a problem with an electric fuel pump. so far as I know that does not need timing. Or is it me being thick again?
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Richard thought it was timing but appears the SU float is stuck!! Vans not getting used so I guess it is fuel gumming up the works.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
SteveClem

Post by SteveClem »

You could be the first person ever to replace an su with a zenith!
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

SteveClem wrote:You could be the first person ever to replace an su with a zenith!
Nothing novel in that... :whistle:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Bill

Post by Bill »

I'm still confused. Are we setting timing, checking for faulty electric pump or changing SU to Zenith?
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Bill wrote:I'm still confused. Are we setting timing, checking for faulty electric pump or changing SU to Zenith?
Could be all three together... :mrgreen:
hodge2

Post by hodge2 »

Hi Bill
No mention of electric pump that was sorted by help from members so like me we must both be thick
( joking of course)my biggest problem bill is. Every time you think its ready for the rest some thing else happens like this week when my son was trying to set the timing on Neil's advice the silencer blew a4 inch
Hole in its body no fault of the advice given due to to much petrol getting through which is causing problems
With the engines running.

Regards

hodge2