New to Zenith - Running Lumpy ?

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
Nikki&Austin

Re: New to Zenith - Running Lumpy ?

Post by Nikki&Austin »

Yes fuel is flowing as per the above test, was the first thing we checked, but did again just in case.

The car has gone from:
- running lumpy
- dying on road with no notice
- only idling, dying if throttle applied
- today not even starting
!!!!

There is spark

Can't try another coil as the new one sent out by BM was made of such carp plastic that both terminal snapped off , pouring its oil all o0ver the bay.

Nothing else we can do I suspect, without replacing everything for the sake of it, which we shouldn't have to do with a dealer sold car ....

Now up to the dealer to resolve or face a case ......
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

what is that Black gungy stuff in the fuel pump, that needs clearing out to start with, i bet it's sucked some of it up into the carb & blocking your jets
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
A40FARINAGURU

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Nikki&Austin wrote:Can't try another coil as the new one sent out by BM was made of such rubbish plastic that both terminal snapped off , pouring its oil all over the bay
Should have bought one from our club spares or got a 'real' Lucas coil :thumbs:
Nick Bayliss

Nelly

Post by Nelly »

Sounds like the story of our coil dying. Was it running 'lumpy' due to misfiring? Ours started by jerking under load with lower revs then progressed until non starting. Is there fuel in the fuel bowl currently? If so, and you've checked the jets are clear, I'd say ignition!
Felicity and Sam, Owners of 'Nelly', 1955 Black 4-Door A30
Owner and Club Member Since 2014
Southampton & New Forest Club Member
SteveClem

Post by SteveClem »

Good old coils seem to be much better than modern things made in a tin hut in a far away place. Never had an old one fail on me.
beko

Post by beko »

Diaphragm in the pump looks all wrong too - i think i'd have that apart as may well have been bodged with something unsuitable
A40FARINAGURU

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

beko wrote:Diaphragm in the pump looks all wrong too - i think i'd have that apart as may well have been bodged with something unsuitable
:iagree:
Nick Bayliss

Nikki&Austin

Post by Nikki&Austin »

Update....... fixed ......... not fixed !!!!

Dealer came out this morning - credit as it was a BH Mon and they are not local.

We found a small piece of crud in the 'float chamber jet' (bugger, the one thing we hadn't checked since rebuilding) - noted that original and replacement 'float jets' very different shapes, despite both being stamped "1.5"

and it fired up proper good and ran for 10 mins.

Woohoo, however, after driving it round the block with just a brief stutter, after parking up the bugger wouldn't start again !

Having cleaned the pipe from pump to carb before, we checked the 'float chamber jet' again just in case the last bits of crud had washed through - nope - clean.

Noted that fuel wasn't coming through whether or not the 'float jet' was open or closed.

Primed the pump by hand - no movement.

Eventually got it going through vigurous priming and it kept running, but suspect that the fuel pump as a whole is just cack - the dealer did leave a used diaphragm to replace that rain coat job we have, but we noted that the nut that screws the lid on doesn't tighten very well, so best to replace the whole we thinks?

Would an air- leaky pump effectively negate any one-way valve effect that the pump might have ?
Nelly

Post by Nelly »

Sounds like you've found your answer then! If the fuel pump is not 100% sealed it won't pump much at all. If the cap won't screw on properly worth trying club spares or Robert Prinn ("Austin Motors"/Southampton and New Forest Group - in the magazine) about getting a reconditioned one. Then check and double check that all that black gunk is out the system (fuel pipe to carb, float valve, all 3 jets...)! The float valves in the carb seem to come in two different shapes but both types have worked fine for us.
Felicity and Sam, Owners of 'Nelly', 1955 Black 4-Door A30
Owner and Club Member Since 2014
Southampton & New Forest Club Member