Stainless exhausts

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
Bill

Stainless exhausts

Post by Bill »

Anyone got any experience of how well the 3 piece SS exhausts advertised by BM fit? It looks tempting at a good price but I would like to hear from anyone who has tried to fit them.
Paulc

Re: Stainless exhausts

Post by Paulc »

What is the price Bill, it isn't on their website. I bought one of their three piece mild steel systems and they don't fit straight on and will need significant fettling, I know AlecF on here has had the same problem. The front pipe is too short (and badly made) and the angle of the rear pipe is incorrect too. Maybe the stainless steel exhaust is a different manufacturer.

Interesting that Moss are advertising mild steel MM exhausts for £35 and our ones are £100 more!!
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

Hi Bill, Mine did not fit well at the back, spent ages trying to get it to sit right but it is still too far over and encroaches on the transmission tunnel, luckily it doesn't foul on the prop shaft, it would if the suspension allowed it to go higher on a bounce, and it doesn't knock anywhere. Nothing wrong with the quality of the exhaust itself which is several years old now and 3 pieces is actually quite handy when doing stuff with engine, manifolds etc as you can easily slacken off first joint to get any movement required. I wouldn't however buy another BM one unless I knew for certain that the shape and fit of the exhaust had improved. :wave:
Last edited by Edosan on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

Another supplier is Earlparthttp://www.classicexhausts.co.uk/ bit pricier but I know they manufacture themselves and its a copy of the original two part system. Be interested to hear if anyone has had one of theirs in stainless steel and how it fits etc.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Got an advert on eBay, number 282426371484
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

Hi Bill,
Have you tried http://www.stainlesssteelexhausts.co.uk ... -cars.html at Cullompton? I had a stainless system from GES somewhere in Devon about 20 years ago. It's only recently failed so I'm looking for options too.
Chris T.
400,000+ A30 miles in 40 years
Austins <=> sustAin
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

Bill,

That one on Ebay is mild steel I think. If you do buy from BM they give a club discount if you buy direct.

I've attached two pics of the BM exhaust comparing with an 'original' and you can see where it will need fettling! I've ended up using the BM rear box and re-using the front downpipe.
Attachments
IMG_3363.JPG
IMG_3363.JPG (104.59 KiB) Viewed 409 times
IMG_3362.JPG
IMG_3362.JPG (88.72 KiB) Viewed 409 times
Ann and Roger

Post by Ann and Roger »

Bill
A few years ago I purchased a BM stainless exhaust, it was well made but did not fit, a lot of fiddling by two people at once eventually got it into a usable position. had to make some new brackets. The front pipe has an incorrect angle of bend which means the centre section is two low, however it works OK.
As an alternative I have a 300TDi Land Rover that required a specific exhaust to clear an aftermarket overdrive. I took the vehicle to a Longlife exhaust centre and they built me a bespoke exhaust almost whilst I waited, actually it was next day. The resultant job was first class, it was fitted 15 years ago and is still going strong. The cost actually turned out less that buying a standard LR part and having it modified. There is a Longlife agent in Westbury which is far from Taunton. We are just the other side of the river by the old Severn bridge, you are welcome to come and have a look if you like.