Shackle Bush Grease Nipple

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
Clifford

Shackle Bush Grease Nipple

Post by Clifford »

Hi All,
Just managed to get one of the old shackle bushes out of my van but in removing the grease nipple the extension tube sheared off. It obviously hadn't been doing it's job for some time as the bush was dry but the chassis full of grease.
[Image
Any ideas where I can get a replacement extension? I've been googling for ages with no success. The nearest I found was an M8 one. I could possibly tap the chassis tube M8 but would prefer to stick with 1/4" UNF if possible.
Cheers,
Clifford.
Nelly

Re: Shackle Bush Grease Nipple

Post by Nelly »

I've used a company called "spalding fasteners" before on ebay. Is this long enough?
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/371122560809
Felicity and Sam, Owners of 'Nelly', 1955 Black 4-Door A30
Owner and Club Member Since 2014
Southampton & New Forest Club Member
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

They are a special... I had a batch made a couple of years back... you're welcome to one but it will have to be collected from near Boston or could deliver to the National Rally next month... :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Clifford

Post by Clifford »

Nelly wrote:I've used a company called "spalding fasteners" before on ebay. Is this long enough?
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/371122560809
Thanks for the link, unfortunately these standard 'long' nipples are 1 1/8" and I need at least 1 3/4" to clear the chassis member.
Neil Evans wrote:They are a special... I had a batch made a couple of years back... you're welcome to one but it will have to be collected from near Boston or could deliver to the National Rally next month... :thumbs:
Thanks Neal, that would be fantastic. :thumbs: We'll be at the National :cheers: but also stopping off for a few days in Miningsby en route. Am I right in thinking I need 1/4" UNF in the chassis tube?
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

Had same problem for a few years, and used to dribble EP 90 into the bearing using an old syringe and needle, eventually replaced last year along with rear springs. Used one from an old Universal Joint and drilled and tapped to suit. All still working well. :wave:
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

Clifford wrote: Thanks Neal, that would be fantastic. :thumbs: We'll be at the National :cheers: but also stopping off for a few days in Miningsby en route. Am I right in thinking I need 1/4" UNF in the chassis tube?
I'd never heard of Miningsby but google says it's less than five miles from where my latest squeeze lives... :thumbs:

I believe the thread is 1/4 UNF... :study:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child