Gasket Sealing questions - Fuel Pump and Manifold and Carb

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
Nikki&Austin

Gasket Sealing questions - Fuel Pump and Manifold and Carb

Post by Nikki&Austin »

Apologies for the length, but we thought we would round up various related questions as they are all gasket / seal related.

The fuel pump is going back on this weekend, either in the form of a temporary taiwanese version or the AC rebuilt if we cab get a kit and sort the non-sealing lid. Assuming the car then runs, it will be quickly followed by the new HS2

Happy for answers to any of the questions, e.g., 1 No, 2, Yes Hedlite 3, don't be stupid etc etc !!!!

We have to-hand, Heldite, Holymar AF (non setting), Holymar instant gasket, coppagrease,oil etc etc

Fuel Pump

When re-assembling fuel pump ?
1. Should the diaphragm be clamped down dry, smudge of oil on flanges, sealant or nowt (u/s it should be tightened with the lever pushed in.)
2. We assume the internal gauze filter should sit without anything sticking it down (this seems to have been one of the problems as the PO had made a gasket from silicon ?
3. Does the lid just clamp down over the rubber seal, i.e., no sealant again?
4. Fuel Pump to Block - this seems a very thin paper filter should it be enhanced?

Manifold/Heat Shield/Spacer/HS2

5. Manifold bolts to head - just a smudge of coppagrease ?

6. Manifold to head, the supplied gaskets are thick grey paper stuff - dry or as it shouldn't be removed for a while - heldite ? (confused by heldite - it paints on pretty sticky/wet, but I assume it goes hard when hot, so does to offer any seal ?)

7. Manifold to heat shield to spacer to carb - again paper gaskets - dry ? Holymar HF ? They are the combustion side of the carb so any overspill / squeezed on tightening gunk should just burn

8. Air filter to carb - thick cork gasket - assume dry as long as fit is tight (have fettled to prevent bolt head on back of K&N fouling).

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Re: Gasket Sealing questions - Fuel Pump and Manifold and Ca

Post by gazza82 »

4-8: I would fit dry.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

I use Wellseal, which remains flexible and easy to take apart again, on all paper seals. Never used anything on the exhaust manifold gasket and never had any problems although I always use a new one if it has been taken apart as it gets quite a set on it and it will never be in exactly the same place a second time. Never used anything on fuel pump seals should simply seal on the rubber although it's been awhile since I messed with these. Be careful not to tighten top nut too much as it's very easy to strip the thread. :wave:
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

I have not used any sealant on any of the listed items that I have replaced, as far as I can remember.
5. Manifold to head. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought these were studs in the head (no grease) And brass nuts with washers to hold manifold on, possibly a smidge of copper grease here.
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Agree with the above but, being very old school, I grease both sides of any head gasket before fitting.

The theory is that it allows the gasket to settle into position as the head is tightened down.

Can,t do any harm anyway.
AlecF

Post by AlecF »

How about the clamp to the exhaust downpipe? That is where I have a problem, after fitting a replacement exhaust which isn't exactly the right angle. Is there anything suitable for that temperature?
Alec.
1956 A30 VDK407, now up and running thanks to many members.
Nikki&Austin

Post by Nikki&Austin »

Agree Alec, after fitting the new manifold last weekend, I noted how hit and miss the fit seems to be, I had to lift the exhaust with a trolley jack until it was in place - to me the clamp felt like it needed to be a fraction deeper to ensure both parts were pulled together. First fitIa spread some heldite on the clamp and it made a bl**dy mess, so wiped it all off and did it again dry. I did wonder whether to put some exhaust tape between the pipes and clamp, but thought that would make the joint even harder to seal.
AlecF

Post by AlecF »

Nikki&Austin wrote:Agree Alec, after fitting the new manifold last weekend, I noted how hit and miss the fit seems to be, I had to lift the exhaust with a trolley jack until it was in place - to me the clamp felt like it needed to be a fraction deeper to ensure both parts were pulled together. First fitIa spread some heldite on the clamp and it made a bl**dy mess, so wiped it all off and did it again dry. I did wonder whether to put some exhaust tape between the pipes and clamp, but thought that would make the joint even harder to seal.
Was your exhaust the same as mine, the standard one from BM? Good value but I had to get it fitted by a local exhaust company, who had to soften it with a blowlamp before it could be made to fit.
1956 A30 VDK407, now up and running thanks to many members.