Installing HS2 - a few queries

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
Nikki&Austin

Installing HS2 - a few queries

Post by Nikki&Austin »

Hi Sages

After rebuilding the olde fuel pump with the bits of the new fuel pump (as the the fuel line thread on the new Moss version was totally different to the original so not useable ! ) we got the car running and did an hour an a half Sunday, including over 60 mph !! on the motorway, and thought we were back on the road, only for the car not to start again today - grrr

Primed pump and it started, but back to the issue of under load is sort of struggles / runs lumpy.

No bits of gunk blocking jets anywhere, although hard to see with all the gremlins standing in the way !

Odd, whereas before, when the choke was used the car ran better, indeed needed the choke to relieve the lumpiness, now, a small bit of choke is fine, but any more and it hesitates and tries to die ?

Anyway, sod it - out with the Zenith and in with the HS2 that has been politely waiting on the shelf.

As always, apologies if we do not use the exact parts terminology.

New manifold has been POR20 painted (if anyone needs any, we have 90% of a tin left) and fitted, so first question?

Q1 - heater pipe - it will not clamp down as the new manifold sits a tad higher than the olde - is it a case of simply making a new p-type clip that is slightly longer - or is there an alternative recommendation ?

Q2 - throttle connection - have read the various posts about bending the pedal and changing the linkage - and so bought a new longer throttle linkage from Burlen (adjustable between circa 120 and 160mm).

At the moment, the end of the ‘pedal arm’ in its zenith form is resting against the dashpot cover.

Although some have said no bending is required, clearly we need to. I assume that the objective is to bend the ‘pedal both back towards the bulkhead and across to the centre of the car, such that it sits as vertically as possible above the throttle linkage on the carb - maybe a little behind to arc when throttle applied ?

As the pic above shows, for us this seems to be more sideways than backwards bending.

Having read about using poles for bending, are there any other recommendations, e.g., heating first , bending at the point of bulkhead entry v's half way up??

The tab/hole at the end of the ‘pedal’ is at a different angle to the carb, presumably this is not critical - more so the vertical plane above the carb ?

Q3 - choke cable. We have bought a longer MM cable (not in the pic above). It obviously needs to arc through 90 degrees from the bulkhead to the carb. Does the outer sleeve manage this (when sitting in the receiving sleeve on the carb) so that when the choke is pulled the cable doesn't try to shorten the arc?

Q4 - vacuum advance - on the zenith its a solid pipe all the way. Do I keep the main element of this including the trap and just replace the final run into the car with flexible hose, or replace the lot ?

Many thanks (as always)

ps - so that the air filter isn't obstructed, we have converted the heater hose metal strap / hand slasher into a cradle in order that it raise the hose a little - apart from originality - any issue in doing this ?

Hurtzberg

Re: Installing HS2 - a few queries

Post by Hurtzberg »

1.. I used the p clips from an a40 farina.

2. Once you fit the linkage, the throttle did might be clear of the dash pot.

3. My choke outer split a bit where it is held in place on the heater. Still works fine though.

4. I simply moved the nut back out of the way and slid a flexi pipe on the end to join to the carb. Timing gun proved it worked.

Good luck
Andrew

1957 A35
Hoppend

Post by Hoppend »

Keeping the trap is a good idea, as I have seen fuel get into the vacuum advance of the distributor.
My Austin A30-A35 website: http://www.hoppend.nl
Chairman/webmaster of Dutch Owners club http://www.austinclub.nl
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

Q1 - Make new p-type clips slightly longer

Q2 - throttle connection - Just bend it across to the centre of the car. This is all the factory deemed necessary when they used the SU carburettor on the later vans. I've always done them cold and by hand with no extension tube or lever necessary.

Q3 - Yes.

Q4 - Just use a small rubber link pipe. Make sure it's suitable for use as a vacuum pipe.
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

Hi have taken some photos of my installation, not quite as clean but all works well, first picture shows throttle linkage in place and I use a longer connection. Looking at yours I think I must have bent it a bit as well but don't remember this. Second picture shows the linkage disconnected so you can see where it lies before linking up. In its linked up position the linkage is almost vertical and throttle pedal position is perfect, for me anyway! Third picture shows Minor choke cable clamped in usual places and it works very well, think I shortened it a bit as well to make it fit better. My water pipe clips just fit but no idea what they are off. Hope that helps, think you'll like the SU, love that KandN filter as well. :wave:
Attachments
SU throttle linkage 1.jpg
SU throttle linkage 1.jpg (185.65 KiB) Viewed 544 times
SU throttle linkage 2.jpg
SU throttle linkage 2.jpg (115.12 KiB) Viewed 544 times
SU choke cable run.jpg
SU choke cable run.jpg (143.72 KiB) Viewed 544 times
Alan
Committee Role: A30 Registrar

Post by Alan »

Ed, what manifold is that from? It has 2 servo take off stumps. I am trying to find one of those. All the 1.5" have them but haven't seen a 1.25" with some like yours.
Modified 1963 AV8 A35 Van
Modified 1972 Rover P6 3500s

Austin A30 Owners club registrar
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

Hi Alan,

It was off a very late MM van with a closed circuit 1098 engine in it. this is the one with the big round recirculation valve which sits on top of the induction manifold and connects to crankcase breather. I don't use this so have linked my servo to the connection already there. Crankcase breather goes straight into SU carb body as per later models. I did once check on these engines and I think there were only about 5000 made for MMs. I think however they may have used the same arrangement on Minis for awhile.

All Best Ed
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

Hi Alan,

Just a bit more information, here is the valve in the Moss catalogue, http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/valve-asse ... h5191.html so if you see one of these on top of the manifold on a single carb A series engine then you will most likely have the manifold. :wave:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I see Moss are charging £55 for those valves.

I have two of them which anyone can have for £20 each !
Alan
Committee Role: A30 Registrar

Post by Alan »

funny this, because I checked ebay this morning and found that's same manifold and the valve, delivered, all for £24. so I thought i'll have some of that and it should be here in a couple of days. :thumbs:
Modified 1963 AV8 A35 Van
Modified 1972 Rover P6 3500s

Austin A30 Owners club registrar
Nikki&Austin

Post by Nikki&Austin »

My MoT man laughed when he spotted the breather connected to a shampoo bottle !