HS2 on and Running, but no throttle return

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
Edosan

Re: HS2 on and Running, but no throttle return

Post by Edosan »

and this is what the small mini bracket looks like. Attaches to the end of the exhaust clamp bolt, beauty of these is that you can move it through an arc to adjust the tension of the spring. You would also need the cable throttle plate and there are still loads of these around from scrapped minis and minors. :wave:
Attachments
Throttle spring return bracket.jpg
Throttle spring return bracket.jpg (36.5 KiB) Viewed 219 times
Throttle cable plate.jpg
Throttle cable plate.jpg (68.86 KiB) Viewed 219 times
Bill

Post by Bill »

Nikki&Austin wrote:Hi Bill, that was the first option tried, sadly it would return fully, maybe a PO had already bent something.
You seem to have both the pedal linkage and the carb linkage with bends in them. Both mine are straight and all is well. Pedal linkage like a banana or is it my eyes?
Nikki&Austin

Post by Nikki&Austin »

We first tried the pedal as it, with the new slightly longer linkage as advised, but there was a resistance that meant it wouldn't close, worse, would open fully when started ! Checked the pedal unattached and spring seemed OK, so bent pedal arm towards block - as far as it would go before fouling on whatever the rubber covered (earth?) cable is. Still wouldn't close on its own, so bent up slightly, no better, so spent some time testing the arc or both pedal and carb link arm. As has been pointed out, starting at a low point, the 'cable' arm will not rotate freely with the link rod attached, so played around with both the pedal and rod until they moved and returned freely.

Waiting for burden to advise if they supply the rod the link pictured above.

In the meantime have ordered cable links and return spring from minimania and will try the cable attachment as an alternative to the rod to see if this reduces the very slight banana responsiveness on lift off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182470941839h ... 2470941839
Bill

Post by Bill »

What I did was to open the throttle on the carb fully. Then floor the pedal. You can then see the position of the end of the pedal rod and the carb body. You may have to bend it back but then straighten the link rod and add 127 mm and the pedal return will more than close the throttle. You may of course have a problem with the pedal that a PO has b**gered about with . Good luck.
Nikki&Austin

Post by Nikki&Austin »

Big Thanks all, took SNooPy out for a country run to the inaugural meeting of the 'A35 Club at the Olde Jail Inn at Biggin Hill' and all ran well - very well.

I know our Zenith (and accompanying fuel pump) was probably a dog, but with the HS2 is seemed to run really well.

One neighbour even commented 'has that now got a race engine in it or a special exhaust ?' although I think it was done to annoy the other neighbour who tried to get us prosecuted by the Environmental Health Officer for starting a classic up on average once a month !!!!!

In the end I think it was a weak pedal spring, so have re-bent the pedal lever straighter in order to lower the pedal and will carry a throttle return spring just in case.

Now we just have to try and find out why there was a puddle of pink (brake?) fluid on the garage floor under the passenger front damper (our PO installed silicone brake fluid when rebuilding).