Steering box oil

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
Big Daddy

Re: Steering box oil

Post by Big Daddy »

Hoppend wrote:What size o-ring do you guys use?
Proper lip seal is a much better solution and very easy to fit... :thumbs:

Could the steering box be bodged more effectively by using grease in the lower tube to act as a crude seal, and then topped up with EP140 for proper peg/worm contact lubrication :?: Might be a half reasonable short term fix... :mrgreen:
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

I think others have tried this in the past, remember in the long distant past using motorbike chain grease (the stuff you melted in a can/pan), waited for that to go solid then used a thick oil.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Paulc wrote:using motorbike chain grease (the stuff you melted in a can/pan...
Linklyfe and I have history which destroyed my mother's cooker. It was banned afterwards... :whistle:
Linklyfe.jpg
Linklyfe.jpg (176.99 KiB) Viewed 290 times
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

CV Joints have grease in them so why not a steering box
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

A40FARINAGURU wrote:CV Joints have grease in them so why not a steering box
Because the contact loads are entirely different. CV joints rely on rolling balls which have minimal sliding between adjacent elements. Similarly many steering racks rely on grease to lubricate their teeth but these have involute form so contact is rolling rather than sliding.

By comparison, worm and peg steering boxes rely on sliding contact between adjacent elements to function at all; there are no intermediate needle or ball bearings to provide rolling contact. Also contact area between peg and worm is relatively small so contact pressure is high. These factors present a significant lubrication challenge... :wave:
Hoppend

Post by Hoppend »

Big Daddy wrote: Proper lip seal is a much better solution and very easy to fit... :thumbs:

I could not find an appropriately sized lipseal... do you have an article number for one that fits?
My Austin A30-A35 website: http://www.hoppend.nl
Chairman/webmaster of Dutch Owners club http://www.austinclub.nl
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Hoppend wrote:I could not find an appropriately sized lipseal... do you have an article number for one that fits?
David Swain wrote:I have a lip seal here, courtesy of B.D. :thumbs: , waiting to be fitted in my steering box, when I take it apart for renovation.
It was bought from Industrial Bearings (Anglia) Ltd. phone No. 01206 793322. the lip seal reference is - 10007525R23, with an OD of 1 inch and an ID of 0.75 of an inch, the guy says that He is quite happy to supply, but feels it may be better if you source locally, to save on postage.
From: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6431&p=76060&hilit= ... R23#p76060
earthhist

Post by earthhist »

Hoppend wrote:My dad is trying ep-0 grease in his.

I put a thick o-ring in the groove and that holds regular oil really wel! O-rings are very inexpensive an easily obtainable.

A related question: would somone know where to get replacement pins for the steering box? It's the pin that follows the groove in the cilindrical part attached to the steering axle.
You can press the pin out and turn it 90 degrees and press it back in - exposes an unworn surface. May have been done before of course... :(
Richard Johnston, Plymtree Devon, formerly A30/A35 Club Technical Officer and President