Doors

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
XVC375

Doors

Post by XVC375 »

Hi All

Quick question - I am after a replacement door for my 2-door A35 and they appear to be reasonably plentiful on certain auction sites, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that the doors of A30s and A35s aren't interchangeable due to the need to accommodate different roof drainage channels.

If I'm correct, are there are any distinguishing features between A30 and A35 doors? Unhelpfully, most doors are described as for A30/A35.

Thanks

Dan
Paulc

Re: Doors

Post by Paulc »

Unless you are a purist the A30/A35 2 door saloon doors are the same. The drainage channel makes no difference.
XVC375

Post by XVC375 »

Thanks Paul.

No, not a purist - I could probably live with a door strap one side if it fits!

Dan
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

The door strap pulls lasted into roughly mid 1957 on the A35 before the ashtray type pulls were used!
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

All 2 door doors are fully interchangable, even embossed van items will fit on a saloon... the straps or chrome pulls attach with the same screw holes...

There's actually no such thing as 'A30' doors and 'A35' doors, the earlier style with the pan edge continued for a while into A35 production before the more conventional folded flange was introduced. It's not all plain sailing with the doors though as they can vary in size by several milimetres. The factory would have had a pile to choose from and used them accordingly. The second hand, or even new/old stock door you buy on Ebay may not fit... :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
XVC375

Post by XVC375 »

Neil Evans wrote:All 2 door doors are fully interchangable, even embossed van items will fit on a saloon... the straps or chrome pulls attach with the same screw holes...

There's actually no such thing as 'A30' doors and 'A35' doors, the earlier style with the pan edge continued for a while into A35 production before the more conventional folded flange was introduced. It's not all plain sailing with the doors though as they can vary in size by several milimetres. The factory would have had a pile to choose from and used them accordingly. The second hand, or even new/old stock door you buy on Ebay may not fit... :thumbs:
Thanks Neil, as ever.

I've always thought that having equal panel gaps is over-rated :rol: