Speedo improvement

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
Edosan

Speedo improvement

Post by Edosan »

Just done a job I've been putting off for ages, the excessively oscillating speedo needle which I thought was simply how they were! Given the increasing numbers of speed cameras etc which don't take account of old cars and wayward speedos and the fact that I don't always have my phone Sat Nav on I thought it was time to have a go. I've taken a few speedos apart before and switched bits around but thought I'd start with Richard Johnston's in depth article on speedos and followed it to the letter. I want to say a big thank you here to Richard because this article tells you everything you'll ever need to know about our speedos and he's taken the time to write it all up for our benefit. :thumbs:
In my case I took the speedo drive off and substituted it for a better one as it had a bit of a kink in it. Replacement was thoroughly cleaned and freshly oiled. Then I cleaned all the moving parts in the speedo head with a solvent cleaner, similar to brake cleaner, and didn't re-oil as suggested. Carefully put it all back together including making an improved light shield for the top right warning light (It looked as if it was glowing slightly when the speedo illumination lights were turned on) Also managed to get the bulkhead grommet for the speedo cable properly in place. Test drive followed and it's amazing, better than ever before. Slight oscillation when accelerating etc but otherwise stable, just as Richard said it should be. I can actually see what speed I'm doing accurately for the first time ever! Having also just changed tyres from 145's to 155's the speedo is also now spot on. The speedo head is from a 1098 van so it matches with my 4.2 diff but did need the equivalent tyre to a 5.60 in old money.
So it's a bit fiddly but pretty easy overall, not sure where you would locate the article now, I printed it off several years ago and its in my file, perhaps Richard or someone else will know its location on the web, it's priceless. All Best Ed :wave:
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Re: Speedo improvement

Post by gazza82 »

I'm adding a section to the website that will have technical articles from the Club magazines and other useful info, so this one might fit the bill!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
earthhist

Re: Speedo improvement

Post by earthhist »

The speedo article can be found in Club mags which should be in the Club members section
Richard Johnston, Plymtree Devon, formerly A30/A35 Club Technical Officer and President