Axle oil on brakes

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
philipangus

Axle oil on brakes

Post by philipangus »

Hi

I have axle oil coming through on to the rear brake drum on nearside and brake is not locking on this wheel. I haven't checked the offside yet, but it does lock on application of the brakes so hopefully it is dry. Would overfilling the rear axle slightly have caused the axle oil to come out on the nearside or is it just a case of needing to renew the rear hub oil seal behind the bearing? It's the original bearing oil seal as far as I know.

Thanks

Philip
Dave Clark

Re: Axle oil on brakes

Post by Dave Clark »

I have the same problem.

It can be the seal and yes it can be aggravated by overfilling the axle but it can also be oil seeping past the half shaft to hub seal which is just a thin gasket and MAY have an O ring as well.Make sure the breather on the top of the axle is clear.

Received advice is to use up to three gaskets at this location. I also use gasket sealant, allow it to go off a little and then bolt it up. It is important to replace and bolt on the wheel because the two locating screws cannot squeeze the gasket sealant enough on their own. Make sure the joint faces are clean and dry before reassembling

Two other things. There is a drain hole in the backplate, leading out through the axle flange, so as to allow oil to drain away from the brake shoes. This is usually blocked with dirt and/or paint.
I usually allow 24 hours before re-filling the axle to allow the sealant to set.

I am now going to take my own advice and change bearings, seals gaskets and axle oil !!
philipangus

Post by philipangus »

Dave

Thanks so much for this advice. The reason I may have overfilled is that I used the breather hole as I could not shift the oil filler bung and therefore it was difficult to judge as I was jut topping up. I think I'll just drain the lot and put the correct volume back in if I still can't move the filler bung.

It would be nice if it was just the paper gasket, but like you I think I'll do the seal as well to be sure.

Also just discovered an exhaust leak just in front of the silencer - i'm hoping it is just a loose joint. The trip to Hibaldstow and back has obviously created a few maintenance issues for me, but thats what it's all about, otherwise it's just a car and not a hobby.

Hoping to get it back on the road for 17 June when there is a big rally in Northern Ireland - fingers crossed!

Good luck with your seals etc.

Philip
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

It has previously been mentioned on here is to fit two paper gaskets both sides, never tried it but it has been said on the forum it does help
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Do try to keep up Nick, this was mentioned in my post :rol: :rol:
SteveClem

Post by SteveClem »

I think we all start to 'skim read' when we reach a certain age! It can be a bit embarrassing when you get caught out.
I find that mumbling and dribbling a bit can get you off the hook.
A40FARINAGURU

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Dave Clark wrote:Do try to keep up Nick, this was mentioned in my post :rol: :rol:
it's alright for you with your feet up all day sipping on a G & T some of us are worn out after a good honest days work :roll:
Nick Bayliss

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

A40FARINAGURU wrote:it's alright for you with your feet up all day sipping on a G & T some of us are worn out after a good honest days work :roll:
tired.jpg
tired.jpg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 850 times
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Fever Tree tonic one would hope! :rol:
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

What an unwarranted slur on my manliness Nick !! G and T ,s are for Southerners and players for the other side.
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Not wishing to take this off topic too far, I'll just clarify I'm a southerner! And love a long, cool, G&T on a Friday!

back on track I'm going to have to find a way to refill my rear axle as I'm bolting in a 3.9 Midget diff which doesn't have a filler/level plug. The Spridget had its on the back of the axle making it easier to get to (as the car is so much lower), the original A30/35 one is in the diff housing. Getting something at the right level might be a bit too trial and error so adding EP90 in a measured form via the breather might be the only easy option.

The alternative might be to swap the diff internals between housings ..
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

I simply drilled a smallish hole in the side of my 4.2 diff in same place and height as the filler plug on the original diff. Did this on diff before I fitted it so could make sure there was no bits of metal inside. Then used a self tapping screw with a rubber washer underneath to keep it sealed up. It's been like this for over 5 years now with no problems and an annual check and top up through the breather hole. I use a syringe and some small bore tubing for this. So far it has taken no additional oil in that time. :wave:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I will repeat on here what I did.

I got a plumbing fitting called a tank connector, together with the matching cap, drilled the appropriate hole in the back face of the diff and fitted it.

Much easier to fill as it is at the back - no grovelling around underneath with a torch.
A40FARINAGURU

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Dave Clark wrote:What an unwarranted slur on my manliness Nick !! G and T ,s are for Southerners and players for the other side.
a good strong ale then :thumbs:
Nick Bayliss

Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

A40FARINAGURU wrote: a good strong ale then :thumbs:
With half inch of froth on top... Weird them northerners that happily settle for 90% of a pint, or less. I thought they were all supposed to be mean buggers north of the Watford Gap, who'd spot a mile off when they were being had... :whistle:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child