GEARBOX MOUNT QUERY

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
DaveB

GEARBOX MOUNT QUERY

Post by DaveB »

Hi,
I'm slowly collecting the missing bits for my 1956 Countryman. It came with an 803cc engine that needed new pistons, and without a gearbox.

Since then, I've got a reconditioned 948cc engine from a rusted-out Morris Minor, and a reconditioned smooth-case gearbox. I don't yet have the gearbox mount.

The Bull Motif & Earlpart catalogues refer to two types of gearbox mounting systems:
- 'A30 Rear Gearbox Mounting (803cc Gearboxes)' or 'mounting, gearbox, A30 ONLY ( rear of gearbox)'.
- 'A35 Gearbox Mounting (Large)' or 'mounting, gearbox, side, R-H or L-H, A35'.

Is the deciding factor for which type of mount needed is the type of gearbox you have, (smooth-case v ribbed), rather than the size of the engine?

Also, if it's the 'A30' version that I need, could someone provide a photo of the relevant bit(s)?

Thanks for your time.

Dave
1956 Austin A30 Countryman
1972 Vanden Plas Princess 1300
pick up phil

Re: GEARBOX MOUNT QUERY

Post by pick up phil »

The orignal A30 gearbox had a 'doughnut' type rear mounting.

The later gearboxes sit in a cradle type mount. I think I've got a spare if you want one. New rubbers are available from club spares. The transmission tunnel will also need modifying to take the remote gear stick.
Phil Harrison
El Presidente' 2013 - 2016 (Now Retired)
Membership Secretary - Retired
Archivist in the dim and distant past - Retired
Chair or 2009 / 2015 Nat Rally Comm
Sunny Rotherham!!
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

Is the vehicle an A30 or A35 as the later gearboxes won't fit in the A30 transmission tunnel...
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for responses. It's an A30. See photos of gearbox and transmission tunnel.
gearbox.jpg
gearbox.jpg (61.42 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
tunnel.jpg
tunnel.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
Thanks. Dave
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Neil Evans wrote:Is the vehicle an A30 or A35 as the later gearboxes won't fit in the A30 transmission tunnel...
how easy/hard is it to fit an A35 tunnel to an A30?
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Not to much of a problem IF you have an A35 tunnel in the first place.

Just drill out all the spot welds, offer the A35 tunnel up with the A35 gearbox mount in place and attached to the gearbox/engine assembly, clamp it all down and weld it in.That way you know that the gearbox will still fit !!
Alan
Committee Role: A30 Registrar

Post by Alan »

DaveB wrote:Thanks for responses. It's an A30. See photos of gearbox and transmission tunnel.
gearbox.jpg
tunnel.jpg
Thanks. Dave
you will require 1 mount. the A30 doughnut mount.

Modified 1963 AV8 A35 Van
Modified 1972 Rover P6 3500s

Austin A30 Owners club registrar
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Dave Clark wrote:Not to much of a problem IF you have an A35 tunnel in the first place.

Just drill out all the spot welds, offer the A35 tunnel up with the A35 gearbox mount in place and attached to the gearbox/engine assembly, clamp it all down and weld it in.That way you know that the gearbox will still fit !!
thanks - I'll see if I can procure one...
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

Hi Duncan, I seriously wouldn't go to the trouble of changing the transmission tunnel unless you want to run a later ribbed type gearbox with midget ratios etc which would be better with a significantly more powerful engine eg 1275 Midget. For fairly standard 948 and 1098 the smooth boxes are absolutely fine and the direct change lever as per A30 is a delight to use on a good gearbox. If you want A35 gear ratios the cogs out of an A35 or Minor smooth case remote box are a direct swap. All Best Ed :wave:
Tight Yorkshireman

Post by Tight Yorkshireman »

Edosan wrote:Hi Duncan, I seriously wouldn't go to the trouble of changing the transmission tunnel unless you want to run a later ribbed type gearbox with midget ratios etc which would be better with a significantly more powerful engine eg 1275 Midget. For fairly standard 948 and 1098 the smooth boxes are absolutely fine and the direct change lever as per A30 is a delight to use on a good gearbox. If you want A35 gear ratios the cogs out of an A35 or Minor smooth case remote box are a direct swap. All Best Ed :wave:

I will second Eds comments! :thumbs:

John G 8)
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for all responses: another mystery solved. Dave
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Edosan wrote:Hi Duncan, I seriously wouldn't go to the trouble of changing the transmission tunnel unless you want to run a later ribbed type gearbox with midget ratios etc which would be better with a significantly more powerful engine eg 1275 Midget. For fairly standard 948 and 1098 the smooth boxes are absolutely fine and the direct change lever as per A30 is a delight to use on a good gearbox. If you want A35 gear ratios the cogs out of an A35 or Minor smooth case remote box are a direct swap. All Best Ed :wave:
Thanks - vague plan is to install the marina 1275 engine & hope the cheap box I bought of ribbed gearbox bits can be assembled into something functional. From memory the drivers floor has rust holes so will need welding regardless of what happens with the tunnel. First I need to build a garage...
Sorry DaveB, didn't mean to derail your thread!
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Hi, again,
My '56 Countryman came without a gearbox. Recently, the guy who sold me the car a couple of years ago rang me to say he'd found the gearbox that was in the car when he took it apart! It's the ribbed one on the left:
gearboxes01.jpeg
gearboxes01.jpeg (81.54 KiB) Viewed 948 times
Both are in working order. They are the same length up to ridge that holds gearbox mount.

My questions are:
- why the difference in length?
- which one should I use?

I don't have the tailshaft that was originally in the car. Thanks.
Thanks.
DaveB
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

The gearbox on the left is a hybrid of the late ribbed case 'box with the tail housing from a series 2 Morris Minor (split screen + A series engine) and, short of body modifications, is probably the ultimate unit for an A30. You'll need an A35 propshaft to use it, or alternatively have the A30 one professionally shortened and rebalanced... :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Neil, Thanks for that.