Morris Minor Brakes Fitted To Front Of A35

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
gresham flyer

Morris Minor Brakes Fitted To Front Of A35

Post by gresham flyer »

Hello,
I am sure this has been discussed a million times before but I would like to know the precedure for fitting Morris Minor drum brakes to the front of an Austin A35.
I have machined and drilled the back plates to fit,but using the A35 hub does not allow the Morris drum to locate correctly,there is about 5mm difference from the Austin hub to backplate and Morris hub and backplate, it looks like I need to use the Morris hub.?
Or are there any other options cheaper than the A35 setup. i.e MG Midget disc`s.?

Gresham Flyer.

My first car.!!
Dave Clark

Re: Morris Minor Brakes Fitted To Front Of A35

Post by Dave Clark »

Have you machined out the centre of the M1000 backplate to seat fully on the A35 stub axle ?

If so, I have found that all is needed is a little turned off the back edge of the drum , certainly not as much as 5mm.
gresham flyer

Post by gresham flyer »

An engineering friend machined out the centre hole to the Morris Minor backplate,he also redrilled the 4no fixing holes. The backplate bolts on correctly.
We then fitted the A35 hub unit. When the Morris Minor drums are fitted and fixed securely to the Austin hubs they look as if they need to locate further into the backplate.
Did you use Morris hubs or A35 hubs on your conversion.?

Gresham Flyer

My first car.!!
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

A35 hubs, naturally (we dont want too much foreign material in our cars)
gresham flyer

Post by gresham flyer »

And.? Please do elaborate.
How do your drums locate correctly into the backplates,with the correct distance. Or are you happy to have a gap and not have them locate properly. There is 6mm difference between a Morris drum and an Austin drum.

Gresham Flyer

My first car.!!
Tight Yorkshireman

Post by Tight Yorkshireman »

Hi GF

I have the back the MM back plates and shoes etc all waitring to be fitted to my A30 EMD when it comes back so will have some info then but that will be a few weeks yet. Are the drums the 7 inch or later 8 inch MM brakes?

John G
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Now you have me worried !

Tomorrow I will go out and check these brakes, as yet unfitted, and see if I can see the problem.

No one else that I know has fitted them has reported any such problem.
Tight Yorkshireman

Post by Tight Yorkshireman »

Got me worried too and wont now till i get the car back?
Hope you solve the problem GF
John G
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
gresham flyer

Post by gresham flyer »

My engineering friend has come up with the answer. He is going to machine a spacer with the correct locating lip for the hub from a billet of steel ,the spacer will then locate behind the backplate,therefore bringing it forward about 5/6 mm. Then the Morris drum will locate on the Austin hub and into the backplate just like it does when fitted to the morris minor with the correct clearance.
If anyone needs any making after we have sorted this problem I am sure he will oblige.

Gresham Flyer

My first car.!!
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

It would be interesting to see what the difference between the A40 backplate and the MM backplate is because the same drum works perfectly with an A40 backplate. It would also be interesting to know whether this drum was specced on the Austin first or the Morris, I'm guessing it was roughly at the same time, although possibly the A40 Mk 1 was first in which case it is an Austin drum which Morris pinched! Anyone know? anyway glad you have a solution because the A40 backplates are getting very rare and the cylinders are the same price as standard A30's. Regards Ed
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Having now been out to the workshop and checked I am embarrassed to admit that there is a small problem here.

Gresham said there was a difference of 5mm in his original post and revised it later to 6mm - my parts show less than that, but, nevertheless, it needs to be altered.The obvious solution is the spacer mentioned above.
I shall be turning up two such spacers in the next week or so , fitting everything up and then I think I shall revert to discs.The M1000 set up will then be offered for sale.The parts have never been fitted and were intended to go on the van restoration, so were cleaned, painted, three cylinders honed and re-rubbered and one new cylinder then assembled with new shoes.
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Edosan wrote:the cylinders are the same price as standard A30's
Not sure if I like the sound of this Ed.
David.
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Edosan wrote:The M1000 set up will then be offered for sale.
Dave, I would be interested to know more about the brake conversion, and how much you would want for it. pm me when you get a chance, no rush :lol:
David.

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Chairman
Committee Role: Chairman

Post by Chairman »

fsu982 wrote:
Edosan wrote:the cylinders are the same price as standard A30's
Not sure if I like the sound of this Ed.
David.
The last new Mk 2 wheel cylinders I bought about two years ago were £16 each or £64 the set and are still on my daily driver. Have bought a few n/o/s ones at various autojumbles and have never paid more than a £5er for them.....perhaps A40guru can shed light or a good source? :wink:
Mark Bouskill
Chairman
Van and Countryman Registrar
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Thanks Mr. Chairman, I have not yet got to the brakes, just thinking ahead :)
David.