MG Midget Disc Conversion

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
barks146

MG Midget Disc Conversion

Post by barks146 »

can anyone tell me what parts from an MG Midget front brake set up i would need to convert my A35 to discs....obviously i would need the discs and calipers but what else will i need
Thanks
Ian
WAC_Paul

Re: MG Midget Disc Conversion

Post by WAC_Paul »

King pins and stub axles unless you have a late van as they are the smaller diameter ones. If you want to fit the anti roll bar too then you would need the reinforced pans also.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

You forgot to mention the hubs, Paul.

Its easier if you have all the MG parts, but it is possible to make a caliper bracket to attach to the brake backplate mounting bolts.

You might also want to fit the dustshields behind the discs, to prevent stones and other debris from finding their way between the discs and caliper.

Dont forget to tell your insurers.
barks146

Post by barks146 »

Thanks for the replies.
Is it a straight swap and straightforward job, also is the existing master cylinder suitable to work with the disc conversion.
The cars not insured at the moment as its on my back yard stripped to a shell however does the conversion make a difference to the insurance premium, higher cost or lower??
Ian
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

If you have a look at the members area you'll find a club magazine that covers the fitting of Midget discs. I've not found that fitting better brakes makes any difference to the insurance quote, as long as they know what modifications you've made. RH Insurance only charge c£50 for insuring our cars (depending on age etc)
beko

Post by beko »

Yes, it's an easy job - the biggest problem you might face is swapping over the kingpin!

It makes economic sense too if the front suspension is needing attention since you kill two birds with one stone so to speak. I was lucky with the second hand Midget stuff I bought as the kingpins were good. I fitted recon calipers bought outright (about £75 the pair) - cheaper and quicker than messing with reconditioning old ones.

Only other point not mentioned is that Midget has calipers mounted in the trailing position, if you want to use the original A35 hoses you need to swap the stub axles from one side to the other to put the calipers at the front - if you do this, I found that I needed to cut a little more out of the top of the disc shield to stop it fouling the trunnion.

All works fine with the standard master cylinder, though the received wisdom says the non-retrun valve rubber needs to be removed from the master cylinder (the very small one from the stainless cup)
Alan
Committee Role: A30 Registrar

Post by Alan »

the best upgrade you could do on these austins.
Modified 1963 AV8 A35 Van
Modified 1972 Rover P6 3500s

Austin A30 Owners club registrar
barks146

Post by barks146 »

ive bought some used midget discs calipers stub axles etc etc ...stripping everything down to clean/refurbish trying to get the discs off ....cant do it !!! does the hub nut have to come off etc not just the 4 nuts that appear to be holding the disc on?
Ta
Ian

....forget the above ive done it......however can anyone tell me how to get the outer fulcrum pin out??
Last edited by barks146 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
brianmekon

Post by brianmekon »

barks146 wrote:ive bought some used midget discs calipers stub axles etc etc ...stripping everything down to clean/refurbish trying to get the discs off ....cant do it !!! does the hub nut have to come off etc not just the 4 nuts that appear to be holding the disc on?
Ta
Ian
Hi Ian
ye the whole hub and disc come off the stub axle as one assembly, so you need to take the hub nut off and pull hub off then you can take disc off. Sometimes the bearings can stick on the stub axle as you remove them. I would replace them while you are at it.
good luck
Brian
MG Midget xsu 499s. 1977(died after going round clock 3 times)
MgB GT nsn 579m. 1973
Austin a30 uyj 698. 1955
barks146

Post by barks146 »

thanks Brian , ive taken the hub off and......yes the inner bearing has stayed on the stub axle. I'm now doing battle with the the fulcrum pin...... :) :)
beko

Post by beko »

My favourite and very quick way to dismantle is to use one of the ultra thin (1mm) cutting dscs in an angle grinder. You need a new disc to get enough reach, but if you carefully go in at the side of the fulcrum pin, you can cut both ends and get the kingpin out. It's then not too much of problem to wind the individual ends of the pin out of the pan. If you are careful you shouldn't damage the wishbone pan (even if you touch the sides it shouldn't be a problem. This also gives you a chance to get the remains of the fulcrum pin pin out of the kingpin - heat is usually the answer here - you will need to get the cotter pin out (often a challenge in itself) then, in theory the remains of the fulcrum pin should drift out of the centre (though it's only worth doing that if the pin is good enough to reuse).

I wouldn't waste my time trying to unscrew the fulcrum pin if it's been together for any length of time
Tight Yorkshireman

Post by Tight Yorkshireman »

ampwhu wrote:Image Image the best upgrade you could do on these austins.

Its lovely and clean and painted Al. Was that lot sprayed or did you hand paint it all up?

John g
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

beko wrote:
I wouldn't waste my time trying to unscrew the fulcrum pin if it's been together for any length of time
Agreed, and definitely don't try to do this by applying heat as it will simply melt the braze that holds the bushes into the A pans....
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Alan
Committee Role: A30 Registrar

Post by Alan »

Tight Yorkshireman wrote:Its lovely and clean and painted Al. Was that lot sprayed or did you hand paint it all up?

John g
i hand painted it all john. the green on the calipers is the same as the engine paint. ESM minor spares. £5 a tin. the black is wickes exterior black paint, £9 a tin.
Modified 1963 AV8 A35 Van
Modified 1972 Rover P6 3500s

Austin A30 Owners club registrar
Tight Yorkshireman

Post by Tight Yorkshireman »

ampwhu wrote: i hand painted it all john. the green on the calipers is the same as the engine paint. ESM minor spares. £5 a tin. the black is wickes exterior black paint, £9 a tin.

Ta Al. Ive been using hammerite but still not sure about that paint. One or two have commented upon how hammerite performs/doesnt perform
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15