No Spark

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
XVC375

No Spark

Post by XVC375 »

Hi all.

I'm mindful this is going to sound a little 'amateur hour' but I'm really foxed as to what this problem could be....

My A35 was running beautifully for much of last week but decided to get in a right flap last Friday. Whilst on a very short 'trip round the block' to secure a better parking space she suddenly spluttered and stalled. She fired-up immediately, but it was clear she was not running on all cylinders (engine sounded like a bag of spanners and the engine block shaking).

Next day, no joy in starting. I did a spark test and there was no spark obvious at the plugs.

To try and remedy the situation the following have been carried out:

1) Spark plugs checked (all fine and correct colour)
2) Distributor wiring checked (no obvious issues)
3) New replacement coil fitted
4) New replacement 'Powerspark' electronic ignition module fitted (to replace existing of same type)
5) New rotor arm fitted
6) Iginition switch bypassed by attaching wire from +ve on battery to +ve on coil
7) Battery charged (all that cranking drained it somewhat!)

Needless to say she is not exhibiting any signs of life, though the engine turns freely enough. I know it's not a fuel issue as the plugs are wet after cranking and it doesn't look as though anything is seized in the block as there was drfinite air pressure from the spark plug holes on cranking when the plugs were removed for testing.

Sorry for such a lengthy post, but I'm really stumped.

Any help appreciated!

Dan
Hurtzberg

Re: No Spark

Post by Hurtzberg »

A chap arrived at an a35 meet with similar symptoms.
It would crank fine but no spark.
His earth lead had fallen off the back of the block.
Andrew

1957 A35
XVC375

Post by XVC375 »

Hurtzberg wrote:A chap arrived at an a35 meet with similar symptoms.
Thanks for this - will check it out. It is certainly possible given the sudden nature of the breakdown!
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I would have thought it would struggle to crank if the block had no earth?

Is it worth checking that the rotor is actually going round during cranking?, can't recall where but I've heard of someone having trouble with it not.
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Dan, I take it the car has been converted to negative earth given you were connecting +ve to +ve .. and the Accuspark module is -ve earth compatible?

I would put contact breakers back for a while as it's easier to see if you have power, etc. And you can flick them open and closed to simulate the engine turning which should show a spark at the coil lead.

You haven't mentioned the distributor cap. Are the contacts clean and is the small carbon contact in the centre still there! I had one fall out when working on my mate's Mini!! Took us a while to spot that one.

If a car dies suddenly, it is usually electrics. Once the small lead between the contact breakers and base plate on my distributor gave up the ghost and I lost power completely. That took some finding (even harder than the dizzy cap contact!!) (And on a narrow bendy road going up a hill!! I was not popular with the locals!!)

Spluttering and misfiring is usually fuel related. Although it could be condenser or coil related as these tend to "break down" rather than fail suddenly.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
XVC375

Post by XVC375 »

Thanks Gazza

Yes, the electronic ignition is -ve earth and electronic ignition module is compatible.

I have checked distributor cap - all seems fine. It was only replaced a month or so ago when one of the HT lead screws sheared off the old one!

It may indeed turn out to be fuel related as the car didn't die suddenly and only stalled when I came to a standstill. It also fired up straight away but not on all cylinders.

I'm sure it'll be something simple! :shock:

Dan
philipangus

Post by philipangus »

Hi

Buy one of these to test for spark at the plugs.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-ht-lea ... pack/61411
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

I had problems with that little wire inside the distributor cap, that Gazza mentions in His post above, worth a check. :?
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
XVC375

Post by XVC375 »

Thank you for all the advice.

A productive day spent on diagnosing the issues. The result?

1) Electronic ignition had failed

2) When converted to points, she fired up but not running on all cylinders. A spark plug check revealed likely issue is blown head gasket, confirmed by milky oil and deposits on the oil filler cap

3) I was right to replace the coil as the old one started leaking (!). It was only 6 months old....

Needless to say, a new gasket set and electronic 25D distributor is on its way (to replace my elderly DM2).

I am hopeful that there's no lasting damage as the engine has hardly been run since misbehaving.

Would welcome your thoughts on the following:

1) Any experience on the use of head gasket treatments?

2) I am assuming an oil change is going to be required post-gasket fix?

Thanks

Dan
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

XVC375 wrote:Thank you for all the advice.

A productive day spent on diagnosing the issues. The result?

1) Electronic ignition had failed

2) When converted to points, she fired up but not running on all cylinders. A spark plug check revealed likely issue is blown head gasket, confirmed by milky oil and deposits on the oil filler cap

3) I was right to replace the coil as the old one started leaking (!). It was only 6 months old....

Needless to say, a new gasket set and electronic 25D distributor is on its way (to replace my elderly DM2).

I am hopeful that there's no lasting damage as the engine has hardly been run since misbehaving.

Would welcome your thoughts on the following:

1) Any experience on the use of head gasket treatments?

2) I am assuming an oil change is going to be required post-gasket fix?

Thanks

Dan
the milky oil deposits on the oil filler cap does not denote blown head gasket, 9 times out of 10 that is due to condensation within the engine due to short runs when the engine doesn't get up to full temp, double check spark etc before taking the head off for no reason
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

And for questions 1 & 2:

1) Snake-oil. Just fit a good quality gasket
2) Yes.

But check carefully as Nick says. This cold weather can decieve.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Alan
Committee Role: A30 Registrar

Post by Alan »

have to say its the 1st time ive heard of an electronic module failing.... had mine in for years and no trouble.
Modified 1963 AV8 A35 Van
Modified 1972 Rover P6 3500s

Austin A30 Owners club registrar
splott

Post by splott »

I’d check the compression and the spark with a make shift spark tester (bit of wood and 2 screws, see how good the spark is at distances more than the normal spark gaps before subjecting it to head removal.

Having said that, many years ago my metro 1ltr started leaking water from the head gasket. I picked up a gasket in motor factors in Bath while shopping, drove it home and swapped it in about an hour, so not the end of the world.

I’ve never played with electronic ignition, but pretty sure it’s essentially a magnet on a rotating ring and a hall effect sensor, all in all very solid state. It might not like reverse polarity very much.

Clearly something is amiss, but I’d be surprised if it all went wrong together.
FO - 1956 A30
exminiman

Post by exminiman »

:iagree: Does does sound like could be an earth issue.... :whistle:
XVC375

Post by XVC375 »

Alan wrote:have to say its the 1st time ive heard of an electronic module failing.... had mine in for years and no trouble.
Certainly early versions could suffer from a lack of heat dissipation and apparently the use of copper HT leads have known to cause premature failure due to lack of resistance in these leads compared with silicon types. I know there is some debate on the latter point as some manufacturers to not mention using the alternative of silicon leads whilst Powerspark recommends it..... :?